Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Welcome fellow riders...

My name is Mark and I am here to document and share my experience. Born in the Philippines, I moved to San Jose, California when I turned 10 with my younger brother and mother. We later moved down to San Diego, where I went to Rancho Bernardo High. I now live in Poway with my wife Cristal and our daughter Winter. I used to ride bikes for fun when I was a kid, but I never thought that it would bring the comradeship, friendships and memories that is has given me over the last few years.

I haven’t ridden a bike since I was younger, but about 3 years ago my wife bought me a mountain bike for my birthday. Prior to us getting married I wasn’t in the best shape. I did run every now and then, but I really wanted to get into something that would help me be a better person physically. So the summers would be spent mountain biking and the winters would be spent snow boarding. I didn’t realize how many of my friends were into mountain biking. It became my addiction and gave me a healthy way to spend time with friends.

One of my most memorable moments riding was with my friend Brian. We were on one of our regular rides and my bike broke. We were pretty far out, but rather than him riding back along side me, he picked up his bike and hiked with me. Until then I didn’t realize how much cycling was truly a team sport. It was Brian that moved me towards getting a road bike. And last year, another present from the wife, I finally got my road bike. It was a present for my first father’s day.

My daughter is turning 2 this year. It’s only May and I can’t believe the things that are ahead of me. I will be running the Rock n’ Roll Marathon, celebrating my 4 year anniversary, and now have the opportunity to ride with the CAF team. It’s going to be a lot of hard work and dedication, but with the support of my friends and family I think it will be one of the best experiences in my life.

Through cycling I have made so many new friends. We’re all there to support each other and help out when someone’s falling back or has a flat. I’ve never played on a sports team before, but this is a journey that I’m glad to be doing with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment