Monday, July 5, 2010

CAF QMDC week 7








With our Country's birthday just around the corner. Week 7 brought our group ride on Saturday July 3rd. Some familiar faces were out this week not surprising since most have a three day weekend. Nevertheless, 6 QMDC radio contestants made it out including myself. I was looking forward to this weeks ride. Not only because I get to test myself physically with 3800' of climbing. But I also get to ride with group 3 this week. It was a pleasure to meet and ride with other QMDC riders and radio contestants. Group leaders, this week were Mike and Mike. But with both being very helpful and knowledgeable, it was still hard to tell them apart. I was able to ride with fellow contestant Danielle W. I last rode with Danielle in week one but haven't rode since Ive been riding with group 2. Being a smaller group than two, it was easier to meet and remember the people in the group. From Chin who rode QMDC last year, to a mother and son team Kelly and Brenan. It was a great change of pace and made the ride less painful since I was with good company. The ride was a monster with a climb of over 1000' and at places and the 7% grade of Scripps Poway Parkway. Riding this area often (because I live just minutes away) paid off. The trick is not to look up too long, breath deep and try to move your body often.















Once at the top, we were greeted by our angels on the road at the sag stop. I needed more electrolytes since the sun was starting beat down. The way down is always fun. Too bad it only takes a few seconds on what you worked for minutes earlier, but it's not all the time you can go 45 miles per hour on a bike. The ride back was pretty basic and not much trouble. What surprised me was the marine layer never burned off near the coast. While hammering through San Dieguido road, were were also met by some west to east headwinds. With riders Kelly and Jack pulling most of the group, Brennan and myself decided to help out by pulling the group till we got to Carmel Valley. Once we got to El Camino Real and turned around, we lost almost half of the group we were pulling so hard. We were now left with six in the group and all of us decided to just stick together and finish it. The route back took us away from the busy streets of Via de la Valle since the San Diego County Fair was still in town. Once we got back to the cars, the rest of the group were just minutes behind us. I am glad I changed groups this week, because I had the chance to meet and ride with amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment