Monday, July 5, 2010

CAF QMDC week 6


Here we are at week six and the rides are getting tougher. Week six on paper looked very easy. Flat coastal route that took us from our weekly starting point of Fletcher Cove in Solano Beach to Las Pulgas Road. Some what familiar with the route, I was expecting a little challenge until I decided to help a fellow QMDC radio contestant rider Jesse M. About 3 miles into the ride, his newly purchased bottle holders located behind his seat decided to malfunction. Luckily it stayed on his bike dangling for dear life and no one riding behind had to swerve and even worse, crash. I was riding right next to him so I decided to pull over to try and help fix the holders, but with no luck since he lost some necessary bolts on the way. With group 2 leader, Adam Beck with us on the side of the road. I was left with a very hard decision. Should I leave Jesse and have him fend to himself or ride with Adam back to reach group 2? With much deliberating and group 3 whizzing by, I decided to stay with Jesse and hope to catch up to group 3 later. But Adam admitted he will need my help trying to get back with group 2. I had to follow Adam's lead and help him catch up with the rest of the group. For the next 9 miles, Adam and myself "hammered" away to trying to catch up with group 2. Catching up to group 3 was a great site, but we weren't out of the woods yet. My legs were screaming, but Adam was there to motivate me every step. By the time we got to Carlsbad, seeing group 2 at a stop light couldn't have come at a better time. It was a great feeling of relief catching up to the group. Riding through Oceanside gave me a much needed breather since were rode through neighborhoods that had several stop signs and crosswalks which slowed the group down. We were back at it after entering Camp Pendeleton. I would like to thank the Marines for letting us use their roads since not all traffic is allowed through the military installation. In 7 miles we reached our sag stop. We took in some much needed nutrients and liquids. Minutes feel like mere seconds while were at the sag stops.



But I was ready to finish the ride. Until my chain came off again and this time I was at the back of the pack. Luckily a QMDC alumni noticed I was in trouble. Good thing it only took several seconds to get back on the saddle and was able to catch up to the group for the second time today. He intentionally slowed down for me till I was able to catch up to him and the rest of the group. While riding through Oceanside, there he was a sight for sore eyes.






My buddy Brian B. who was left by group 1. I had to take a quick second and say "hi" and welcomed him in group 2. I commend him for riding with the elite group 1 week in and week out. But today, he said he hit that proverbial wall that all endurance athletes feel once and a while. At least he had enough energy to muster a smile. For the rest of the ride, I was riding on near fumes. Then out of no where I heard Adam's voice shout, "Mark, I want you to pass 4 riders on your way up the final hill after San Elijo Lagoon." I didn't think I had anything left, but was surprised I made it up the hill passing 5 riders instead. Granted two came back and caught up to me when I reached the top, but that was besides the point. Right when I think I have nothing left, I was able to conjure up enough to get me through the task. I learned a lot from the group riders today. Things I can use not only on the weekly rides, but for riding any situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment