Wednesday, July 28, 2010

CAF QMDC week 10

Great Friends! How is everyone feeling today? After last weeks ride. I feel like I can take on the world. OK maybe not Pyrenees just yet but I feel refreshed ready to ride this week. But before Sunday, I was in bit of a pickle. My chain broke the day before so I needed to make sure I got a new one before the day was over. I purchased a new chain from Performance Bicycle to find out they just ran out of the chain removing tool. To make a long story short, all night I was scrambling for help to fit my chain. But really all I needed to do was ask a fellow rider for help. Group 2 ride leader, John Welch was so kind to help out the rookie cyclist by taking a link off and installing the chain for me. THANKS JOHN W!
This week was not only productive on the saddle, but also off it. Some of the radio group made it a point to get together in this week's ride to get to know each other better and discuss everyones fundraising. Radio group riders Keith, Chris, Brian, Dave, Danielle, Jesse, Todd and myself rode out in group 3 to brainstorm ideas on helping each other out on raising funds. Everyone had great idea and the rest of the Radio group will also plan on getting together outside the Sunday ride to iron out the details.

The ride this week was to Bonsall, via Escondido. The usual ride through Del Dios Highway is always a good challenge to warm up the legs. But the worse way to cool them off is to fix a flat, on the front tire no less. I took advantage of the situation by trying to change the flat faster than I ever had before. After 6-7 minutes I was ready to go, Thanks for the CO2 help Brian M. I owe you one. After the first SAG Escondido, we rode north toward Old Hwy 395 to Bonsall. I have lived in San Diego since 1993 and have never really explored the small sleepy town in the outskirts of the city. Nice homes, orchards and horse fields surround the country side. 20 miles later we reached the second SAG stop of the day. Where we wished Tina, our SAG angel a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! She would rather feed a bunch of smelly bike riders than sleep in and enjoy her day. Thanks Tina, we don't quite say it enough.




With the home stretch ahead of us. Keith, Brian, Dave and myself decided to ride in a group to hammer out the bike lane off the 76, so everyone could help attack the brutal headwind. Everyone stuck together even when I slowed the rest of the group down a bit. We averaged 19-21 mph till we reached Via De la Valle. This week marked a new milestone since I have never ridden over 60miles before. I felt good and could possibly go even further if i had to. The training has been helping me significantly improve myself week in and week out. I look forward to riding to Ramona this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment