Monday, August 30, 2010

CAF QMDC Week 15

Good evening everyone, this weeks ride tested my mental ability to it's breaking point. The ride started with a immunity quiz. The quiz was based on the how much we were paying attention during last weeks radio studio visit and our knowledge regarding the location of all the cities during the QMDC bike rides and names of all the coaches, ride leaders and staff. Brian M. and myself scored highest on the quiz, but what gave Brian the advantage was his preparedness. He comes ready every Sunday packed with all the supplies one needs for a solo trip up and down the coast. Congrats to Brian for winning the immunity this week, you're very deserving this week due to your generosity and more about that below. Danielle did such a great job on the helmet last week that it's no longer called a immunity helmet, instead we need to give "it" a name. Can't wait to see what Brian has in store for it this week.

Before riding we had our weekly ride advice from our G3 ride leader Mike Hower. This weeks ride was a 82 mile coastal ride from Solana Beach to San Celmente and back. It was a pretty normal ride to begin with, riding to Oceanside and through Camp Pendelton coming out on Las Pulgas Rd.

To some the ride was about a quarter of the way in, to me it was just beginning. I was in the rear helping out Tracy during her flat. During some laughs about her needing to upgrade to better tires, Steve and Dr. Mike had taken care of her flat in no time and we were on our way.


As I got on my bike, you guessed it. I had flat number one. OK, this is normal. Nothing to worry about right? As Mark V. checked the tube, I checked the tire and Steve looked over the rim. We didn't quite see what caused the slow flat. So I quickly put a new tube but hastily must has pinched the tire with my tire lever. Quickly after I inflated the tire, Mark V and myself could hear a small leak. Are you serious, can you say flat number two? I can honestly say changing a flat is more tiring than climbing a 6% grade for over the same time frame. After the second flat, G3 Lead Mike H was checking in with our group. All I heard was I hope Mark got immunity this week the entire way back to the first SAG. I am really grateful for G3 for not taking off and having us play catch up after the SAG. After a quick refill of fluids and some gels, I was ready to ride with the main group once again.

After leaving the camp ground near San Onofre and passing the power plant to our right. A few minutes after we saw G1 cruise by, we found ourselves riding inside a beautiful San Clemente neighborhood. I was chatting it up with Kelly's husband Steve, just to find out he crashed pretty bad the day before and has the road rash to prove it. He is such a trooper, he made the trip down almost single-handedly since one of his hands was still sore and could barely grip the bars. I stayed behind the group to give himself extra braking room just in case. Way to go Steve!


Saw G2 heading back already to the SAG. We made it to a pit stop but just as fast as we got there, we were heading back. Since it was a coastal ride, it was a perfect opportunity to practice taking turns pulling the group. Since I felt responsible for making the group lag a bit, I took it upon myself to get up front for a while. Great pulls from Kelly, Mike, Jack, Keith, Chris and Danielle. Go Danielle, Go! When we got to the second SAG we found out group rider Randi (spelling) was involved in a little accident with a bee sting. Ouch! Glad to hear she is not allergic and hope she is feeling better now.

After entering the Camp Pendelton once again, this is where we were greeted by even more headwind than before. Everything was fine as usual until we got to about one mile to the main gate exit when, you guessed it flat number three. Yippee! Third times a charm right?! While the rest of the group went ahead, radio guys Chris and Brian along with Mike H and Jack stayed behind to keep me company and to remind me to talk less and work more.

This time we found the culprit, a small hole in the outside to the tube. Brian was kind enough to share another CO2 cartridges he had since I only had two with me. I can't wait to get back and talk about the fact I never had this many flats in my entire riding history. Albeit a very short year and half of previous riding. As we got on N Harbor Drive about a quarter mile after exiting Camp Pendelton, you should know what I am about to say by now. Yup, flat number 4. This time it was due to the valve stem not installed properly on the rim. This time frustration sinks in and I told the rest of G3 to go ahead and I will meet them later, but my radio mates Brian and Chris stayed and helped me fix the fourth and hopefully final flat of the day.

Just then I saw Mike H. come back to check on us and say how close I am from being SAG'd out. Rightfully so since four flats is just unimaginable. We told Mike H to go ahead and make sure the rest of the group doesn't slow down and take unnecessary detours on the way while we play catch up. I gathered myself, took and deep breath and continued on. Since it was just the radio group left, we were able to pick up the pace a little more. Before you knew it, we caught up to G3 in Carlsbad. Chris made it known we made it back and the team worked as a group. I tried to stay as close to the leaders of G3 but after 4 flats and trying to make up for it by pulling the group on several occasions. I was just tired and realized that I didn't take in much fluids and gels as I normally would due to the flats and playing cat and mouse for half of the way back.


So going back to what I mentioned that Brian was very deserving today of immunity. He earned it and to be quite honest, I would have given him the immunity after all he had done to help me and other riders before me. Looking back, 2 of the flats were preventable. I was just so frustrated and didn't take the extra minute to be patient. I can only recommend to others to never rush a tire change.

No comments:

Post a Comment